Generic Clotrimazole Cream – Product Information
Clotrimazole cream contains the active ingredient clotrimazole, which is an antifungal medicine used to treat infections with fungi and yeasts. Clotrimazole cream is available as a 15 g tube having 10 mg of the active ingredient per gram.
Name of Drug
Generic Clotrimazole cream: We supply Canesten cream manufactured by Bayer.
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient in Clotrimazole cream
The active Pharmaceutical Ingredient present in Clotrimazole cream is clotrimazole.
What is Clotrimazole Cream and How does it work?
Generic Clotrimazole cream contains the active ingredient clotrimazole, which is an antifungal medicine used to treat infections with fungi and yeasts.
Clotrimazole kills fungi and yeasts by interfering with their cell membranes. It works by stopping the fungi from producing a substance called ergosterol, which is an essential component of fungal cell membranes. The disruption in production of ergosterol causes holes to appear in the fungal cell membrane.
The cell membranes of fungi are vital for their survival. They keep unwanted substances from entering the cells and stop the contents of the cells from leaking out. As clotrimazole causes holes to appear in the cell membranes, essential constituents of the fungal cells can leak out. This kills the fungi and treats the infection.
Clotrimazole cream is used to treat a wide range of skin infections caused by fungi. These include infections with dermatophytes such as tinea, eg ringworm (tinea corporis), athlete's foot (tinea pedis), and jock itch (tinea cruris) and infections with yeasts such as candida, eg fungal nappy rash, sweat rash, or thrush affecting the outside of the vagina (vulva and labia) or the end of the penis.
Clotrimazole cream should be applied to the affected area(s) of skin thinly two to three times daily and rubbed in gently. Treatment should be continued for at least one month for dermatophyte infections and at least two weeks for candidal infections. Ask your pharmacist for further advice on treating your particular infection.
If you are using clotrimazole cream to treat athlete's foot you should make sure you wash and dry the feet, especially between the toes, before applying the cream.
If you are using clotrimazole cream to treat vaginal thrush it will only relieve the external symptoms of the infection, such as itching, inflammation and soreness. It won't treat infection inside your vagina, and so should be used in combination with a thrush treatment that does, for example clotrimazole pessaries or cream that are inserted into the vagina, or an antifungal medicine taken by mouth. Your doctor or pharmacist can advise you about which products to use.
What is Clotrimazole cream used for?
Clotrimazole cream is used to treat Skin infections caused by yeasts (eg Candida), dermatophytes (eg Trichophyton), moulds and other fungi, such as the following:
- Athlete's foot (tinea pedis).
- Fungal infection of the groin, ie jock itch (tinea cruris).
- Ringworm (tinea corporis).
- Fungal nappy rash caused by infection with Candida albicans.
- Sweat rash caused by infection with Candida albicans.
- Relieving the external symptoms (candidal vulvitis) of vaginal thrush (candidal vaginitis). (This cream should be used in combination with another medicine that treats the infection inside your vagina - ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice about which products to use.)
- Inflammation of the penis and/or foreskin (candidal balanitis) caused by infection with Candida albicans (also known as thrush).
Warnings and Precautions when using Generic Clotrimazole Cream
- Consult your doctor before using this medicine if you are unsure of the cause of your infection, or you have not had it before.
- Clotrimazole cream is for external use only.
- There is a possibility that clotrimazole cream may damage latex (rubber) condoms and diaphragms (caps) and so make them ineffective at preventing pregnancy and STIs. If you are using this cream to treat the vagina or penis you should use an alternative method of contraception for at least five days after using the cream, or preferably avoid having sex until after the infection has cleared up. Remember that having sex while you still have the infection is likely to transmit the infection to your partner, who could then transfer it back to you.
- If your sexual partner also has symptoms of thrush it is important that they are treated at the same time as you to prevent you being re-infected. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for further advice.
- If symptoms persist despite treatment, seek medical advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
Generic Clotrimazole Cream – Contraindications
- Known sensitivity or allergy to any ingredient.
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.
If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Using Clotrimazole Cream during Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.
- The safety of clotrimazole cream when used during pregnancy has not been specifically studied. However, it has been used by a large number of women during pregnancy without any apparant harmful effects. As with all medicines, you should consult your doctor or midwife before using this medicine during pregnancy.
- This medicine is not significantly absorbed into the bloodstream from the skin and it is highly unlikely that any of the medicine will pass into breast milk. However, as with all medicines, you should seek medical advice from your doctor or pharmacist before using this medicine if you are breastfeeding. If you do use this medicine while breastfeeding you should not apply it to the breasts before giving a feed, to avoid it being accidentally ingested by the nursing infant.
Side effects of Clotrimazole cream
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Just because a side effect is stated here does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Irritation in area of use.
- Burning sensation.
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.
For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How can Generic Clotrimazole Cream affect other medicines?
This medicine is not known to affect other medicines containing the same active ingredient for treating fungal skin infections.
Buy Clotrimazole cream 15 g Tube Online
You can buy Clotrimazole cream online from the Swiss Pharmacy. It is available in 15 g Tubes . The 15 g Tubes are priced at $9.08 per unit if you place an order for 12 tubes.
This Product was added to our catalogue on Sunday, 16. August 2009.
Customers who bought this product bought also the following products: