Forcan Tablets – Product Information
Forcan is used for treating for oropharyngeal, oesophageal, vaginal candidiasis, systemic candidiasis, cryptococcal meningitis as well as preventing certain yeast and fungal infections.
Name of Drug
Manufacturer of Forcan Tablets
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
The active pharmaceutical ingredient contained in Forcan Tablets is Fluconazole
Fluconazole is used to treat fungal infections, including yeast infections of the vagina, mouth, throat, esophagus (tube leading from the mouth to the stomach), abdomen (area between the chest and waist), lungs, blood, and other organs. Fluconazole is also used to treat meningitis (infection of the membranes covering the brain and spine) caused by fungus. Fluconazole is also used to prevent yeast infections in patients who are likely to become infected because they are being treated with chemotherapy or radiation therapy before a bone marrow transplant (replacement of unhealthy spongy tissue inside the bones with healthy tissue). Fluconazole is in a class of antifungals called triazoles. It works by slowing the growth of fungi that cause infection. Forcan is indicated for oropharyngeal, oesophageal, vaginal candidiasis, systemic candidiasis, cryptococcal meningitis, primary as well as maintenace therapy. Forcan is used for treating and preventing certain yeast and fungal infections as well as prevention of fungal infections in patients on immunosuppressive drugs. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Forcan Tablets – Dosage
Use Forcan as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
Take Forcan by mouth with or without food.
Take Forcan at least 2 hours before proton pump inhibitors (eg, omeprazole).
To clear up your infection completely, take Forcan for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days. Do not miss any doses.
Forcan works best if it is taken at the same time each day. Following are the dosage for adults for some infections. Note that this is only given as a guide. Please consult your doctor for the exact dosing details Oropharyngeal candidiasis
200 mg in the first day followed by 100 mg once daily for 7-14 days. Oesophageal candidiasis
200 mg on the first day, followed by 100 mg once daily for 21 days. Vaginal candidiasis
150 mg single dose Systemic candidiasis
400 mg on first day, then 200 mg once daily. i/v may be preferred.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Forcan is a triazole antifungal. It kills sensitive fungi by interfering with the formation of the fungal cell membrane.
If you miss a dose of Forcan, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Storage Instructions for Forcan Tablets
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed.
Warnings and Precautions to be taken when using Forcan Tablets
Do NOT use Forcan if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Forcan
- you are taking astemizole, an aldosterone blocker (eg, eplerenone), cisapride, an ergot alkaloid (eg, ergotamine), erythromycin, pimozide, a serotonin (5-HT1) receptor agonist (eg, eletriptan), or terfenadine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Forcan. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a weakened immune system, kidney or liver disease, or an irregular heartbeat
- if you are allergic to other azole antifungals (eg, itraconazole)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Forcan. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), amiodarone, astemizole, cisapride, pimozide, serotonin receptor agonists (eg, eletriptan), macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin), quinolines (eg, ciprofloxacin), or terfenadine because the risk of severe irregular heartbeat (eg, QT prolongation) may be increased
- Rifabutin because the risk of certain eye problems (eg, uveitis) may be increased
- Macrolide immunosuppressants (eg, tacrolimus) because the risk of kidney problems may be increased
- Rifampin or proton pump inhibitors (eg, omeprazole) because they may decrease Forcan 's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam), buspirone, carbamazepine, cyclophosphamide, cyclosporine, ergot alkaloids (eg, ergotamine ), haloperidol, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors or "statins" (eg, simvastatin), hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), methadone, muscarinic antagonists (eg, solifenacin, tolterodine), narcotics (eg, codeine), ramelteon, sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide), theophylline, or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Forcan.
Possible Side Effects of Forcan Tablets
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Changes in taste; dizziness; headache; nausea; stomach pain.
- Vomiting, abdominal pain, skin rash and diarrhoea.
- Mild transient, reversible increase in liver enzymes like ALT, AST, alkaline phosphatase and serum bilirubin, etc may be seen.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); diarrhea; scaly, red skin over a large portion of the body; swollen or tender abdomen; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
Buy Forcan Tablets 200 mg Online – No Prescription Required
You can buy Forcan Tablets online from the Swiss Pharmacy. It is available in pills of 200 mg and 150mg. The 150 mg pills are priced at only $3.50 per unit if you place an order for 90 tablets whereas the 200 mg pills are priced at only $4.01 per unit if you place an order for 92 tablets.
This Product was added to our catalogue on Saturday, 09. October 2010.