Nemdaa (Memantine HCl Tablets) – Product Information
Nemdaa is a medicine which is used in the treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease, patients who fail other treatment options for Alzheimer's disease, and patients intolerant/contraindicated to AChE (acetyl cholinesterase) inhibitor drugs treatment. Nemdaa tablets contain Memantine HCl as the active pharmaceutical ingredient. Nemdaa tablets are available in strength of 10 mg.
Name of Drug
Nemdaa 10mg tablets This medicine is also known as Memantine HCl tablets
Manufacturer Of Nemdaa Tablets
Intas Pharmacuticals Ltd.
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
The active pharmaceutical ingredient contained in Nemdaa tablets is Memantine Hydrochloride
Uses of Nemdaa (Memantine HCl Tablets)
Nemdaa (Memantine Hydrochloride tablets) is used for the treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease, patients who do not respond to other drugs used for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, and patients intolerant/contraindicated to AChE (acetyl cholinesterase) inhibitor drugs treatment.
Nemdaa Tablets – Dosage
Patients starting treatment with Nemdaa (Memantine HCl Tablets) will normally be prescribed a low dose to reduce the chance of side-effects.
The recommended starting dose of Nemdaa (Memantine HCl) is 5 mg once daily. The recommended target dose is 20 mg/day. The dose should be increased slowly in 5 mg increments per day.
When dosage is increased to 10 mg per day, administer 5 mg tablet twice a day. When dosage is increased to 15 mg per day, administer 5 mg and 10 mg tablet as two separate doses. When dosage is increased to 20 mg per day, administer 10 mg tablet twice a day.
The minimum recommended interval between dose increments is one week.
Nemdaa (Memantine HCl tablets) should be taken at the same time each day with or without meals.
Nemdaa dosage must be adjusted in patients with severe renal impairment (kidney diseases). Your doctor will review the need for you to continue treatment with Memantine Hydrochloride after three months.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Memantine Hydrochloride (Nemdaa tablets) acts by blocking N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors which are excited by Glutamate attachment to them. Glutamate is the main excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain. It is believed that too much stimulation of nerve cells by glutamate may be responsible for the degeneration of nerves in Alzheimer's disease.
Glutamate is produced and released by nerve cells in the brain. The released glutamate then travels to nearby nerve cells where it attaches to receptors on the surface of the cells called the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor. Nemdaa blocks this receptor, and thereby decreases the effects of glutamate. Nemdaa also protects nerve cells from excessive stimulation by glutamate.
What to Do in Case You Miss a Dose of Nemdaa Tablets
Take the missed dose of Memantine Hydrochloride tablets (Nemdaa) as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose, and take the medicine at your next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Storage Instructions for Nemdaa Tablets
Store at 25°C (77°F) excursions permitted to 15 to 30°C(59°F to 86°F). Protect from heat and moisture. Keep out of the reach of children.
Drug Interactions for Nemdaa Tablets
Drugs eliminated via renal clearance mechanisms (e.g. Cimetidine, Hydrochlorothiazide, Nicotine, Quinidine, Ranitidine, Triamterene) may enhance the plasma concentration of Nemdaa. Avoid administering Nemdaa with these drugs, or consider dosage adjustments of Nemdaa.
Amantadine, Dextromethorphan, and Ketamine may enhance the drug effect of Nemdaa. A dose adjustment of Nemdaa is therefore recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and Sodium bicarbonate when administered together with Nemdaa, reduce renal clearance of Nemdaa. A dose adjustment of Nemdaa is therefore recommended.
Warnings and Precautions to be taken when using Nemdaa Tablets
Before using Nemdaa Tablets please inform your doctor all the medicines that you take including no prescription medications, over the counter medicines and herbal remedies. Caregivers should be instructed in the recommended dosage administration (twice per day for doses above 5 mg) and dose escalation (minimum interval of one week between dose increases). The other precautions to be taken when using are:
- Before taking Nemdaa patient must be tested for any kind of allergy to the drug.
- Seizures: Namenda has not been systematically evaluated in patients with a seizure disorder. In clinical trials of Memantine Hydrochloride tablets, seizures occurred in 0.2% of patients treated with Namenda and 0.5% of patients treated with placebo.
- Genitourinary Conditions: Conditions that raise urine pH may decrease the urinary elimination of memantine resulting in increased plasma levels of memantine.
- Hepatic Impairment: Memantine Hydrochloride undergoes partial hepatic metabolism, with about 48% of administered dose excreted in urine as unchanged drug or as the sum of parent drug and the N-glucuronide conjugate (74%). No dosage adjustment is needed in patients with mild or moderate hepatic impairment. Namenda should be administered with caution to patients with severe hepatic impairment.
- Renal Impairment: No dosage adjustment is needed in patients with mild or moderate renal impairment. A dosage reduction is recommended in patients with severe renal impairment.
- Nemdaa is only recommended for use during pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk. Please consult a physician before taking it.
- Nursing mothers should take Nemdaa only after consulting their doctor.
Nemdaa (Memantine HCl Tablets) - Contraindications
Nemdaa (Memantine Hydrochloride tablets) is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to Memantine Hydrochloride or to any inactive ingredients used in the formulation.
Side Effects of Nemdaa (Memantine HCl Tablets)
The possible side effects of Nemdaa (Memantine HCl Tablets) are given below:
- General: fatigue, dizziness, headache, and back pain.
- Cardiovascular system: increased blood pressure.
- Gastrointestinal system: constipation, vomiting.
- Central nervous system: confusion, somnolence, and hallucination.
- Respiratory system: coughing, and difficulty in breathing.
- Dermatological (skin): Nemdaa may lead to a serious skin reaction called Stevens-Johnson syndrome in some cases.
Buy Nemdaa (Memantine HCl Tablets) Online
You can buy Memantine HCl tablets online at a Cheap rate from the Swiss Pharmacy. Nemdaa is available in pills of 10 mg . The pills are priced at only $0.91 per unit if you place an order for 360 tablets.
This Product was added to our catalogue on Friday, 11. January 2013.
Customers who bought this product bought also the following products: