Zita-Met Tablets – Product Information
Zita-Met is a tablet that is a combination of two prescription medicines, Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin Hydrochloride which lower blood sugar. Sitagliptin, a member of a class of medicines called DPP-4 inhibitors, and Metformin, a member of the biguanide class of medicines, work in combination to control blood sugar (glucose) levels in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (non-insulin dependent diabetes). Zita-Met is used along with diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus when treatment with both sitagliptin and metformin is appropriate. It is available in strength of Sitagliptin 50 mg / Metformin 500 mg.
Name of Drug
Zita-Met tablets. This medicine is also known as Sitagliptin and Metformin tablets.
Manufacturer of Zita-Met Tablets
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
The active pharmaceutical ingredients contained in Zita Met tablets are Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin Hydrochloride.
Zita-Met Tablets – Dosage
Zita-Met (Sitagliptin and Metformin tablets) is administered along with diet and exercise, to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus, when treatment with both Sitagliptin and Metformin is appropriate.
The dosage of anti-hyperglycaemic therapy with Zita-Met tablets should be based on the basis of the patient's current routine, effectiveness, and tolerability. The initial combination therapy, or maintenance of combination therapy should be individualized and needs to be determined by your doctor. The starting dose of Zita-Met is usually Sitagliptin (50 mg) + Metformin (500mg) twice daily with meals, with gradual dose escalation, to reduce the gastrointestinal (GI) side effects.
Mechanism of Action
Zita-Met contains Sitagliptin and Metformin HCl. Sitagliptin which is present in Zita Met reduces blood sugar (glucose) levels in patients with type 2 diabetes, by acting to preserve incretin hormones released naturally in the body. After a meal, Incretin hormones (GIP 1 and GIP 2) are released by the intestine, and their levels increase in the blood.
Incretin hormones reduce blood glucose by increasing the production, and release of insulin from the pancreas. Incretin hormones also reduce blood glucose by reducing the secretion of Glucagon (hormone that increases the production of glucose by the liver and raises the blood glucose levels) from pancreas. The net effect of increased release of Incretin hormones is to reduce blood glucose levels.
Sitagliptin also inhibits the enzyme DPP-4, that destroys Incretin hormones, and thereby increasing the level and activity of Incretin hormones. As a result, blood glucose levels fall. To summarize, Sitagliptin reduces blood glucose levels by inhibiting DPP-4 and increases the levels of Incretin hormones.
The Metformin part of the medication reduces hepatic glucose production, decreasing intestinal absorption of glucose, and improving insulin sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization.
What to do in case you miss a dose of Zita-Met Tablets(Sitagliptin and Metformin Tablets)
If you miss a dose of Zita-Met tablets, take it as soon as you remember. But in case the time for your next scheduled dose is near, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule.
Caution: NEVER take a double dose of Zita-Met.
Zita-Met Tablets (Sitagliptin and Metformin Tablets) - Contraindications
Zita-Met tablets are contraindicated in patients with a hypersensitivity to Sitagliptin Phosphate or Metformin Hydrochloride or to any inactive ingredient present in the medication. It is also contraindicated in cases of Renal dysfunction, e.g., serum creatinine 1.5 mg/dL or more in males, 1.4 mg/dL or more in females or abnormal creatinine clearance and Metabolic acidosis, including diabetic ketoacidosis.
Storage Instructions for Zita-Met Tablets (Sitagliptin and Metformin Tablets)
Zita-Met tablets should be stored in a cool dry place where the temperature stays below 30°C (86°F). Keep away from children and pets.
Warnings and Precautions to be taken when using Zita-Met Tablets (Sitagliptin and Metformin Tablets)
Before using Zita-Met tablets (Sitagliptin and Metformin tablets) please inform your doctor about all the medicines that you take including no prescription medications, over the counter medicines and herbal remedies. The other precautions to be taken when using are:
- Lactic acidosis is a rare, but serious metabolic complication that can occur due to metformin accumulation during treatment with Zita-Met. The risk of lactic acidosis increases with age and degree of renal dysfunction.
- There have been reports of acute pancreatitis, including fatal and non-fatal hemorrhagic or necrotising pancreatitis, in patients taking Sitagliptin and Metformin tablets.
The characteristic symptom of acute pancreatitis are persistent, severe abdominal pain. Resolution of pancreatitis has been observed after discontinuation of sitagliptin. If pancreatitis is suspected, Zita and other potentially suspect medicinal products should be discontinued.
- Metformin and Sitagliptin are known to be substantially excreted by the kidney. The risk of metformin accumulation and lactic acidosis increases with the degree of impairment of renal function. Thus, patients with serum creatinine levels above the upper limit of normal for their age should not be administered Zita-Met Tablets.
- When sitagliptin was used in combination with Metformin and a Sulfonylurea, a medication known to cause hypoglycaemia, the incidence of sulfonylurea-induced hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) was increased.
- There have been reports of serious hypersensitivity reactions in patients treated with sitagliptin, one of the components of Zita-Met tablets. These reactions include anaphylaxis, angioedema, and exfoliative skin conditions including Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
- Zita-Met should be temporarily discontinued prior to any intravascular radio contrast study and before any surgical procedure
- A few patients may show allergic reaction to Zita-Met, thus it is important to get an allergic test done to check, if the patient is susceptible to any kind of allergic reaction to Zita-Met. If symptoms of allergic reactions (including rash, hives, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and throat that may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing) occur, patients should stop taking Zita-Met tablets and seek medical advice immediately.
- Renal function monitoring is advised. Zita-Met should be stopped immediately in the presence of any condition associated with hypoxemia, dehydration, or sepsis.
Side Effects of Zita-Met Tablets
Zita-Met tablets are usually well tolerated. The possible side effects reported in 1% or more of patients receiving combination therapy of are
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Gastrointestinal adverse reactions
- Hypoglycaemia on concomitant use with other anti-diabetic drugs
- Allergic reactions
Zita-Met Tablets – Drug Interactions
Cationic drugs (e.g. Amiloride, Digoxin, Morphine, Procainamide, Quinidine, Quinine, Ranitidine, Triamterene, Trimethoprim, or Vancomycin) that are eliminated by renal tubular secretion (kidney) have the potential for interaction with Zita-Met (Sitagliptin and Metformin tablets) by competing for common renal tubular transport systems.
Thus careful patient monitoring and dose adjustment of Zita-Met is recommended in patients who are taking cationic medications.
Furosemide on being administered with Zita-Met leads to a considerable increase in the plasma concentration of Zita-Met. Dose adjustment is thus recommended.
Nifedipine on being administered with Zita-Met leads to increased absorption of Zita-Met. Dose adjustment is thus recommended.
Buy Zita-Met Tablets (Sitagliptin and Metformin tablets) Online
You can buy Zita-Met tablets online at a cheap rate from the Swiss Pharmacy. It is available in pills of Metformin 500 mg / Sitagliptin 50 mg . Zita-Met (Metformin 500mg & Sitagliptin 50mg) pills are priced at only $1.42 per unit if you place an order for 140 tablets.
This Product was added to our catalogue on Thursday, 26. September 2013.
Customers who bought this product bought also the following products: