8-21 working days.
Premarin® Tablets (Conjugated Estrogens) – Product Information
Premarin® is a drug of the pharmacological group of antineoplastic hormonal agents and hormone antagonists, as well as of the pharmacological group of estrogens, progestins, their homologues and antagonists. Premarin® tablets for oral administration contains a mixture of conjugated estrogens that are obtained exclusively from natural sources. It is prescribed to the patients in case of malignant neoplasm of prostate, ovarian dysfunction, post menopause osteoporosis, in case of absence of menstruation or scanty and rare menstruation and other abnormal bleedings from the uterus and vagina, and in case of dysmenorrheal unspecified and menopausal status in women. Premarin® relieves or eliminates the menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, sweating, dizziness, irritability, depression). It also prevents the osteoporosis development and reproductive organs involution, normalizes the menstrual cycle in women of childbearing age. It also reduces the testosterone level in men.
Name of Drug
Premarin® Tablets: Premarin® Tablets are also known as, Synthetic Conjugated Estrogen A and Synthetic Conjugated Estrogens. Premarin® Tablets are available in the strengths of 0.625 mg and 0.3 mg.
Manufacturer of Premarin® Tablets
Premarin® is manufactured by Wyeth in Ireland, Wyeth is a division of Pfizer®
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
The active pharmaceutical ingredient in Premarin® tablets is Conjugated Estrogens.
Uses of Premarin® Tablets
Premarin® Tablets (conjugated estrogens) is a prescription hormone medication that contains a mixture of natural estrogens. Conjugated estrogens are a mixture of sodium estrone sulfate and sodium equilin sulfate. It does not, however, contain any progesterone hormones. Premarin® is approved by the FDA for the following uses:
- Treatment of menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes , moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms, vulvar and vaginal atrophy and vaginal dryness
- Prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women
- Treatment of hypoestrogenism due to hypogonadism, castration or primary ovarian failure
- Treatment of hormone deficiency in younger women whose ovaries do not produce enough estrogen
- Relief of symptoms of certain cancers (in both men and women) that have spread throughout the body.
Using Premarin® Tablets for Menopause
Menopause is a normal change in a woman's life when she stops having her period. That's why some people call menopause "the change of life." A woman has reached menopause when she has not had a period for 12 months in a row and there are no other causes for this change.Menopause symptoms include:
- Changes in your period, including abnormal bleeding or "spotting"
- Hot flashes (hot flushes)
- Night sweats and sleeping problems (including insomnia)
- Vaginal changes, such as dryness or irritation
- Thinning and weakening of your bones
- Mood changes
- Urinary problems
- Problems with concentration or memory
- Less interest in sex and changes in sexual response
- Weight gain or increase in body fat around your waist
- Hair thinning or loss.
For some women, these symptoms are quite severe, and some form ofmenopause relief may be necessary. This may include medications,natural menopause relief remedies, or non-medical ways to deal with the symptoms.
During and after menopause, women experience a drop in estrogen levels, as well as a shift in the balance of estrogens that the body produces. Before menopause, the main source of estrogen is produced by the ovaries, and the main type of estrogen produced is known as estradiol. After menopause, the main source of estrogen is androstenedione, which is produced by the adrenal gland and is converted into an estrogen known as estrone. Menopausal symptoms and changes result from both the estrogen decrease and the shift from estradiol to estrone. Premarin® is a mixture of natural equine (horse) estrogens. It helps to relieve menopausal symptoms by replacing the estrogen that the ovaries no longer produce. For menopause treatment, Premarin® should be used at the lowest effective dose for the shortest period necessary.
Because Premarin® (or any other estrogen treatment) without progesterone can increase the risk of precancerous or cancerous changes in the uterus, it must be combined with a progestin (either continuously or intermittently) in women who still have a uterus. If you have had a hysterectomy, you can take Premarin® alone, without any progesterone. Premarin® Use for Osteoporosis
Because estrogen helps to keep the bones strong, the decrease in estrogen duringmenopause causes a significant weakening of the bones, often resulting inosteoporosis. By providing estrogen, can help prevent these menopause-related bone changes. However, Premarin® is not risk-free, and it should only be used in women who cannot use other, non-hormonal medications for osteoporosis prevention. Premarin® Use in Younger Women
Sometimes, younger women do not produce enough estrogen, for a variety of reasons. In some cases, the ovaries simply stop working too soon, for unknown reasons. In other instances, certain medications (such as chemotherapy) have affected the ability of the ovaries to function properly. Some women have had their ovaries surgically removed. Or, perhaps, the ovaries never started working properly in the first place (which results in delayed or absent puberty). In all of these situations, Premarin® tablets can be used as a substitute for the estrogen that the ovaries cannot produce. Premarin® Use for Cancer
Very high doses of Premarin® can work to relieve the symptoms of certain cancers, including breast and prostate cancer. For prostate cancer, high doses of the estrogens in Premarin® work by suppressing testosterone and other male hormones that "feed" prostate cancer. It is not entirely clear how high doses of Premarin® work for breast cancer, as estrogen typically stimulates breast cancer cell growth. Premarin® will not cure these types of cancers and should only be used to relieve symptoms when other treatments have failed to treat the cancer adequately. This is known as "palliative" cancer therapy.
Premarin® Tablets - Dosage
To minimize side effects, the lowest effective oral dose of conjugated estrogens is used. Premarin tablets may be taken with or without meals. The usual starting dose for treating symptoms associated with menopause and for preventing postmenopausal osteoporosis is 0.3 mg/day. The dose should be increased based on the response of patients' symptoms.
Hypogonadism is treated with doses of 0.3 mg or 0.625 daily with a cyclical interval of three weeks on treatment followed by one week off treatment. The dose for women who have been castrated or have ovarian failure is 1.25 mg daily in a cyclical interval of three weeks on treatment and one week off treatment. (In reality, most women take estrogens continuously since during the week off treatment, symptoms return because of the lack of estrogen.) For treatment of breast cancer the recommended dose is 10 mg daily for three months.
Take the medication as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take your medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Warnings and Precautions when undergoing Conjugated Estrogens Therapy
Before using Premarin Tablets please inform your doctor all the medicines that you take including no prescription medications, over the counter medicines and herbal remedies.Some of the warnings and precautions to be aware of before starting Conjugated Estrogens therapy include the following:
- Studies have shown that estrogen hormone replacement therapy(such as Premarin®) increases the risk of strokes and blood clots in the legs. Studies have also shown that estrogen plus progestin hormone replacement therapy increases the risks of heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots in the legs and lungs. In no case should Premarin® be used to prevent heart disease.
- Your doctor or healthcare provider should make sure that you are appropriately treated for any risk factors for heart disease(such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, or smoking) or blood clots before you take Premarin® tablets.
- Wherever possible, Premarin® should be stopped four to six weeks before many surgeries, in order to help prevent blood clots.
- For women who still have a uterus (who have not had a hysterectomy), taking Premarin® alone (without a progestin) increases the risk of endometrial cancer, which is cancer of the lining of the uterus. Women who still have a uterus should take Premarin® with a progestin (which can be taken separately or in a combination product such as Prempro® or Premphase®).
- Let your healthcare provider know if you have abnormal vaginal bleeding (such as very heavy bleeding or bleeding between periods) while taking Premarin®, as this may be a sign of precancerous or cancerous changes in the uterus. Your healthcare provider can perform the necessary tests to rule out cancer
Side Effects of Premarin® Tablets
While undergoing treatment with Premarin® tablets, certain side effects may occur. Most of the side effects tend to be minor and passing quickly. But, if any of the following Premarin® side effects persist, you should contact your doctor and ask for instructions. There are chances that you may need to suspend the treatment temporarily.
- Vomiting, mild nausea, abdominal pain, gas;
- Back or joint pain, leg cramps;
- Breast pain, swelling or tenderness;
- Increased or decreased hair growth, loss of hair;
- Changes in weight or appetite;
- Vaginal itching or abnormal bleeding;
- Headache, dizziness.
Sometimes, more serious side effects of Premarin® (Conjugated Estrogens Tablets) may occur. Although they are rare, you should watch out for the following signs and conditions, and should they occur, please contact you medical care provider immediately or seek emergency medical care.
- Stroke - vision or speech alterations, weakness or numbness in limbs, or sudden severe headache;
- Liver damage - jaundice (yellow coloration of the eyes or skin), dark brown urine;
- Clotting - severe pain in the legs or arms, complete or partial loss of vision, loss of breath or difficulty breathing;
- Heart attack - sudden chest pain or heaviness;
- Heavy or unexpected vaginal bleeding;
- Breast lumps;
Premarin Tablets (Conjugated Estrogens Tablets) - Storage
Store Premarin Tablets at 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F); excursions permitted to 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F). Keep out of the reach of children.
Premarin Tablets (Conjugated Estrogens Tablets) - Contraindications
Premarin Therapy is contraindicated in patients having the following conditions:
- Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding.
- Known, suspected, or history of breast cancer except in appropriately selected patients being treated for metastatic disease.
- Known or suspected estrogen-dependent neoplasia.
- Active DVT, PE, or a history of these conditions.
- Active arterial thromboembolic disease (for example, stroke and MI), or a history of these conditions.
- Known anaphylactic reaction or angioedema to Premarin tablets.
- Known liver dysfunction or disease.
- Known protein C, protein S, or antithrombin deficiency or other known thrombophilic disorders.
- Known or suspected pregnancy.
Premarin Tablets (Conjugated Estrogens Tablets) - Overdose
Overdosage of Conjugated Estrogens Tablets may cause nausea, vomiting, breast tenderness, abdominal pain, drowsiness and fatigue and withdrawal bleeding. Treatment consists of stopping Premarin therapy and initiating appropriate symptomatic care of the affected person.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Estrogens are one of the two major classes of female hormones. (Progestins comprise the second major class.) Estrogens are used primarily to treat the symptoms of menopause and states in which there is a deficiency of estrogen, for example, in women who have had their ovaries removed.
Conjugated equine estrogens are a mixture of several different estrogens that are derived from the urine of pregnant mares. Estrogens have widespread effects on many tissues in the body. Estrogens cause growth and development of the female sexual organs and maintain female sexual characteristics such as the growth of underarm and pubic hair and the shape of body contours and skeleton. Estrogens also increase secretions from the cervix and growth of the inner lining of the uterus (endometrium).
Buy Premarin 0.625 mg and 0.3 mg Tablets (Conjugated Estrogens Tablets) Online
You can buy Cheap Premarin Tablets online from the Swiss Pharmacy. It is available in pills of 0.625 mg and 0.3 mg. The 0.625 mg tablets are priced at only $1.57 per unit, if you place an order for 336 tablets whereas the 0.3 mg are priced at $1.46 per unit for the same quantity.
This Product was added to our catalogue on Monday, 09. April 2012.
Customers who bought this product bought also the following products: